SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2021 14:34:11 -0800
David,

I appreciate your candor and suggestion; please do not take in any way
my remarks below as directed against you, nor to discount your suggestion.

If I thought that what you suggest would have any meaningful impact, I
might consider it.  I am at a university that has changed to the
university administration current mantra of retention and graduation of
vocational training for workforce development with customer
satisfaction, and for which Faculty joint decision making almost is
defunct.  I have no research staff nor useful research students at the
present time, and have no spare time in which even to do a design, let
alone development, implementation, and deployment of alternatives to or
meaningful modifications of any systems level software.  My own research
area is quantum computing, but for that too I have no resources and
significant direct instructional responsibilities. Thus, simple
discussions and what amount to theoretical ramblings are easy to dismiss
(data anyone?  how many vulnerabilities does SystemD and its "tentacles"
have?  how many exploits?  how much "damage" done by such exploits?  as
pointed out by a nominal proponent of SystemD on this list).

Unlike the Ubuntu lists that have very few if any actual Canonical
internals persons (e.g., Canonical engineers) present, and furthermore
have many who do not seem to understand the meaning of much CSE
terminology (equivalent in the popular press and "blogs" to misusing the
term "exponential" for a plot that clearly is not exponential), SL is a
list in which there are "professionals".

RH is owned by IBM. As a USA for-profit corporation, IBM practices
avarice and rapacity, typically with disingenuity and mendacity in so
far as that increases the only thing of real interest to a USA
for-profit (this is not an EU, etc., entity): improved financial
position.  The EL8 debacle is illustrative (that evidently has drawn
Fermilab/CERN into it because CentOS 8 -- the planned replacement for SL
that stopped with SL 7 -- has been discontinued -- a decision that I
suspect was approved by IBM "management").

Thus, I doubt that anything I could do or say would have any influence.

As there are others who do subscribe to this list who may have more
influence on distros, it is possible that the discussion here may have
some broader impact.  I am not holding my breath.