SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2021 13:37:59 -0500
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:26 AM Serguei Mokhov <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 11:00 AM Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >

> > BUT... the fact that SysVInit is seen as outdated is NOT a reason in and of itself to support SystemD.
> > There may have been and, in many people's opinion, there were and are better init systems
> > to replace SysVInit than SystemD. "Better" being both a technical and a political/social/industrial construct.
>
> Mark, please name the better ones. And possibly why have they not been
> widely adopted?

daemontools. I publish RPM wrappers for it at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_daemontools-2D0.76-2Dsrpm&d=DwIBaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=LsDDsj7QA7CY_26nwxgDLTsF_n97lwVxm7knYej_yXQ&s=Rw5Lk6l-WDwuvdgWv1ul97hEkjV4y-evQ3Kbw1nbigU&e= : RPM . It still worked
well the lat time I tested it last year, and the author gave up on the
funky licenses and put it in the public domain some years ago. The
funky licenses were also why his djbdns and qmail software were never
very widely adopted: not everyone has the leisure to hand-compile
patches on top of source code to make our own system-compatible
versions of his software, especially because (just like systemd!) he
added new top-level directories at the top of "/" and violated the
File System Hierarchy. the FSH has since been updated to accommodate
systemd's architectural demands.