SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 15:06:43 -0800
 From what I recall of the discussions leading up to SystemD in the
general deployment that seems to be the current reality, one reason was
to not only use "concurrency" at boot, but to standardise across distros
and thus simplify use in "operating systems as a service" in "cloud
computing".  If I have the time, I will attempt to find the reference to
that point; I do recall the argument being made in an in-person
professional CSE seminar (not general public nor IT) at my institution.
Given the current complexity of SystemD, it is not clear that the
argument of "simplicity" (or even "uniformity" amongst distros) has been
realised.  As a direct question to this point:  are the SystemD
configuration files and effects thereof the same between, say, SL
current and Ubuntu LTS current?  That is, are the configuration files
for the same utilities and capabilities the same between these two
distros?

 From the Wikipedia item:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Systemd&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=-owMAqaRiHssZ2E8bRQ52jY6jO3f6qT3hQIGJQgcS00&s=0alOePGrgE5HP3suK_pMxiUvrdZyI2V4UTg5k4CC20g&e=

The design of systemd has ignited controversy within the free-software
community. Critics regard systemd as overly complex and suffering from
continued feature creep, arguing that its architecture violates the Unix
philosophy. There is also concern that it forms a system of interlocked
dependencies, thereby giving distribution maintainers little choice but
to adopt systemd as more user-space software comes to depend on its
components.[91]Vaughan-Nichols, Steven (19 September 2014). "Linus
Torvalds and others on Linux's systemd". ZDNet. CBS Interactive.