SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 2021 18:20:08 -0800
I had not heard the history of SystemD in any detail.  What, if any,
were the software engineering and design justifications for SystemD?  I
recall some vague mentions of "designs for the future" (evidently
including deployment under distributed wide area network type 1
hypervisors, and the general issues of distributed wide area network
"cloud computing" as a "service") or some such, but in practical terms,
I did not understand the need for the massive changes and
reconfigurations necessitated by the continued SystemD intrusive
deployment.  By comparison, to me this is not the same as the Tomasulo
algorithm and reservation stations that are now commonplace on many
general purpose CPU architectures and that met (and meets) a real need.