SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2021

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2021 00:31:09 +0000
> On 22 Jan 2021, at 16:30, Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> So that leaves the Mac, Win 10, and maybe BSD which is under the hood of a Mac.

As a Mac user (managing Linux) I would say that you really don't want to be considering macOS if long term stability is your goal. The OS is on a yearly release cycle with major breaking changes each year (10.14 to 10.15 dropped 32-bit support for example). This year the hardware architecture changed from Intel to Apple Silicon (ARM). Intel Macs will probably stop being made in one or two years. Intel software runs in translation but that will probably be removed a few years later. Under the hood macOS uses Mach and the user land was based on BSD. It's still unix(TM) but Apple prefers developers to use its APIs and its programming language (Swift) for GUI apps. The way Macs are managed has changed completely to a mobile device model with MDM servers and enrolment programs. Apple expects developers and admins to keep up. Old style developers that take half a year to "certify" an OS release before they support it are going to have real problems. As a user I love the new hardware, as an admin I'm happy to let somebody else manage the Macs at work.

Centos8 does exactly what RedHat and IBM want it to do, i.e. providing hybrid cloud tools and a Linux distribution IBM can use in its cloud offerings, and a platform for running Linux workloads on mainframes. That's where IBM sees its future.

My own opinions and not that of my employer etc.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.