SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2020

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2020 08:29:52 +0000
On Sat, 7 Nov 2020, Yasha Karant wrote:

> I have configured the machine with MATE from Ubuntu, and installed all of the
> utilities I had used on SL plus some that seemingly were not available for SL
> 7.  Naturally, yum, yumex, etc., are replaced by various apt utilities, but
> the functionalities, if not the actual CLI commands or GUI steps, are
> equivalent.

> The only peculiarities I have found to date are that unlike SL, LTS assumes
> that everything must be done via sudo.  As I prefer both su and an Xwindow
> GUI root screen, I had to modify some of the LTS configuration files to do
> this, but it is quite simple (in the current LTS).  Both of these
> functionalities now work.

When I moved to LUbuntu I noticed this too, but found that sudo on ubuntu
does not require the password if it has been run recently in that shell,
which makes sudo on ubuntu much more user friendly than sudo on RH/SL.

>  It has also been stated than
> unlike SL, LTS allows for upgrade-in-place to the next major LTS production
> release.  The caution for this procedure is to nonetheless backup all
> non-distro directories and files to an external device so that things can be
> retrieved if something were to go awry.

Given that a new Ubuntu LTS release comes out every two years, I was
surprised to find that it dated more quickly than SL and I have found
myself moving from LTS to the standard release for my home machine.
Upgrade-in-place between standard releases does work.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK