SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2020 14:17:33 -0400
I would be interested in a contribution to help support this effort.

We have a number of SL 6.9 boxes, we would stay there for a while as all
of our cad tools work.  There are some things it doesn't have but we
have never noticed them because they are not useful in the the day to
day running of a Business.

There are a number of SL 7.6 systems in lab but they are used for
special tasks that require more modern libs.  Such as the TI SW
development tools.
Its interesting that VariCAD installs and runs on these systems and they
do not need special versions of lib to run.  Do they know something
other developers don't. Maybe.

We support special machine we manufactured over the last 25 years.  How
we do this is to have VMWare and run the OS's back to the dos days and
compilers and design tools we used then.  When you use these systems it
what they can do.  Ever try windows 2000 professional on a really fast
system.  In 20 years we have been digging our OS hole deeper and deeper
and accomplishing less and less.  The evaluation criteria must change,
it should be faster and do things simply - just new is a defect in
judgement.

We evaluated Cent 8 and got no where.  It would not run our 25 year
collection of scripts, or any of our new cad tools. In fact nothing
would run.  Basically useless pile of code.  Another IBM blunder.  All
they can talk about is packages, packages, packages and nothing useful.

We counted the number of mouse click to do a simple jobs and it was
alarming.  People can have repedative motion injuries.  This has a
serous impact on our workers Comp bill.  Maybe RH 9 will junk the desk
top and move on to something a person can use.  The other bitch is the
basic redesign of the UNIX file system and start / stop functions.  The
system-bla bla bla stuff is hard to remember and takes too much time to
look up every time something needs to be restarted.
The ICON Cheese was pretty good - I though is was add for Wetconsone
orr ??? - The logic escaped me.

If you are using it as an electronic typwriter and spread sheet it works
but if you need to do anything creative it just stands in your way.

Widnow 10 is moron aware and causes my neurons to rebel and RH is moving
in that direction.

At some point the Industrial / Scientific OS must diverge for the
telephone mentally.

New linux version are being continually evaluated and most last 10
minutes into evaluation before me give them a thumbs down, some are cute
but eyecandy does not make it when you need to get things done.

Larry Linder