SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2020

From:
"P. Larry Nelson" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2020 10:29:53 -0500
Ken, et al.,

I believe you can build your own and publish it to Dockerhub - unless their
policies have changed.

It's been 4 years since I retired and worked with Docker containers, so I
haven't touched Docker since as I no longer have access to my linux systems.
But I created the first "generic" SL6 container for Dockerhub and published it
there myself.  It's a basic SL6.8 build, whereas all of the other SL6 containers
on Dockerhub at the time were very specialized builds.  I believe Lynn Garren at
Fermilab was using it as well.  I built mine for use on Cray supercomputer
platforms to run ATLAS experiment jobs.  It's basically a clone I built of one
of my interactive login nodes of my Tier3 cluster.

It might still be there at lnelson/test:v4.  Dunno how long they keep old
containers.  But, of course, it's woefully out of date now and hasn't been
updated with patches.

Seems the best course of action would be to build an SL6 system just the way you
want it with all the legacy apps you need and then clone it with Docker and
publish it to Dockerhub.  I think (but not sure) you can restrict access to it
after publishing to Dockerhub.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.docker.com_develop_develop-2Dimages_image-5Fmanagement_-23docker-2Dhub&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=mcqGfgpCKEjxH5snOklyDRdwygQWzKKu1gyyzt_mfoA&s=4IVSAlt1yb8y69yF00nyWCpEZOyP3eyQ3xUXlBIQ0CU&e=

- Larry

--
P. Larry Nelson (217-693-7418) | IT Administrator Emeritus
810 Ventura Rd.                | High Energy Physics Group