SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2020

From:
Alec Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alec Habig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:49:27 -0500
Teh, Kenneth M. writes:

> I'm trying to preserve a legacy application inside an SL6 container so
> some of our staff (mostly emeriti) can continue to use it after the
> November deadline on an SL7 or CentOS8 machine.

There is going to be a use case like this for a lot of people.  For
example, the whole MINOS experiment's analysis framework will need to
keep running past November, but as a completed experiment working in
"data preservation" mode, there's not the manpower available to port the
whole framework to SL7: especially on the grid which is already a
finicky environment to run on.

So, one option is to send out jobs to the grid in SL6 containers, where
the un-supported-ness of SL6 isn't as much an issue because it's just an
application running under a modern, secure OS.

I'm sure we won't be alone in this approach.  Heck, sometimes I wish
VMS containers were a thing when I want to see what even older
experiments might have to say about something :)  (Even if they were
would probably have to cross my fingers and hope old 8mm tapes still
worked to get to the software, though.)

      Alec

--
			       Alec Habig