SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

July 2020

From:
"Teh, Kenneth M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teh, Kenneth M.
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2020 13:46:59 +0000
Thanks.

I'm trying to preserve a legacy application inside an SL6 container so some of our staff (mostly emeriti) can continue to use it after the November deadline on an SL7 or CentOS8 machine. There may be more apps that I am unaware of.  That's why I asked.  If you plan to remove the sl6 base image from docker, then I need to preserve a copy somehow or learn to build one from scratch using an archive sl6 repo, or maybe even preserve a full sl6 repo myself.

If it's not too much trouble, please consider keeping the sl6 image around after the November deadline. Perhaps make a final version that binds the yum repos in the container to the archive locations.

If this is out of the question, please be frank and say so up front. Then, I will know what I need to do to set up what I need to possibly build other sl6 containers after the November deadline.

Any comments or words of advice are appreciated so I know what I'm up against.

Thanks for all your efforts in maintaining SL.  It was a great run. I've been using you guys since SL4, late 90s(?).