SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2020 11:08:21 -0400
We liked how samba allow us to connect all systems.  Now even the Win 8
and 10 machines do not see any of the other systems. They all see the
other win machines but none of the linux machines.  On systems that are
running VMWare the win machines can see VM.  I also found out that a
number of BeagleBone Black on the network were running smb and were
visible.  Last Saturday for an hr or so the smb network was running and
I could access everything.  I resarted smb on the server and it all went
away.

I shut down all the devices on the network except for 1 Win 8 box and 1
SL 6.10 box.  Nothing.

I looked on the internet and read every alticle I could find about
problem and ran at least 50 different "fixes" and nothing.  The hardware
and systems are good as I can SSH into any computer on network.

There are options in the smb.conf file that do not appear to do anything
the SMB.ORG documentation said they did.  The documentation is not good
as it seldome says what the default setting are.  It sort of like being
blind in an empty room.

testparm and smbclient -L - everything looks OK.
I got ran pdbedit with a number of different option and did not see
anything different between 4 systems.
The fire wall has the right permissions and the correct ports. I even
shut them down. no differences.
The numerous log files in /var/log/samba did not reveal anything use
full.  It was quite a history and goes back to 2012 to present.  No new
log files in the last 10 days.

There are several rants about the developers of samba lousing it up,
with the security additions.

After a number additions to a development copy of smb.conf and a lot of
changes its almost like wen you restart smb, nmb, and winbind it is
ignoring the smb.conf.

Defining users in square brackets works so it is definatly reading the
smb.conf and just doesn't pay any attention to most.  This is sort of
redundant, but necessary to say.

Is there any way to look at the network and really see what is going on?

Larry Linder