SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:27:59 -0700
I do not use distro releases of Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, or Google
Chrome, but rather updating to current production (not beta) from the
actual provider.

In the past, when, say, Firefox would announce that an update was
available but that I (as myself, not root) did not have sufficient
privileges to update, I would exit the application, switch user (not
sudo) and login as root in MATE, activate the application, perform the
update, exit the application, and then switch back to my ordinary user
account.  Upon so doing, I would activate the updated application, and
verify that I was using the latest updated release.  This always used to
work.

Now, when I switch back, although the application is not revealed by ps
(under any UID, not just mine), the pre-update version is still in use
until I actually logout and re-login (not just switch user). Thus,
although the application is not in use when it was updated, a login
session (at least through MATE) must be caching the "old" binary
executable image, and not loading a fresh updated one from the file
system.  Other than log out and log in, is there a mechanism for
"flushing this one application entry from the cache"? Currently, SL 7.8 .

Take care.  Stay safe.

Yasha Karant