SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2020 09:17:18 -0400
Thank You for the expert analysis of the problem.
One of the problems with searching the net is that most of time there is
advice that is correct but out of date or wrong OS etc. and they are not
clearly labeled.

We have downloaded the most current copy of Sama-* and all boxes are up
to date.
I will remove the statement form the smb.conf.  When we tested it there
was no differences on the network picture.

WE took down the fire wall on all boxes and after a reboot it made no
difference.  In the Firewall The samba box was checked and the required
ports were enabled.

We have one system still running SL 5.10 because it has a "mongrel" set
of libs so we can run spice, a filter design program and other
applications. It uses VMware and we have a lot of olders OS to allow us
to support projects that are 0ver 20 years old.  It uses samba to
communicate from the old windows OS to the SL 5.10.  This has worked
well for a long time.

What on the network controls the samba server vers a samba client.  The
documentation on this is sparse.

Larry Linder