SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2020

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 2020 07:32:18 +0100
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM Larry Linder
> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> We liked how samba allow us to connect all systems.  Now even the Win 8
>> and 10 machines do not see any of the other systems. They all see the
>> other win machines but none of the linux machines.  On systems that are
>> running VMWare the win machines can see VM.  I also found out that a
>> number of BeagleBone Black on the network were running smb and were
>> visible.  Last Saturday for an hr or so the smb network was running and
>> I could access everything.  I resarted smb on the server and it all went
>> away.
>>
>> I shut down all the devices on the network except for 1 Win 8 box and 1
>> SL 6.10 box.  Nothing.
>
> Stop there. Seriously. Stop using SL 6.10 as a server, the base
> operating system is 10 years old, the Samba is tremendously out of
> date and the client hosts you expect to play nicely with it have real
> differences in their CIFS behavior. If you have lightweight content to
> share from the old SL 6 environments, NFS share it to an SL 7 or SL 8
> and run Samba there.

Nico, If I understand correctly the clients for this SMB
service are *old* windows machines, running XP at the latest.

Larry, If I am wrong and the historical apps are running on SL6,
I would recommend moving them to some sort of container - singularity
is the one I have used. This way the apps see an SL6 environment *and*
the filesystem of the host (eg SL7) machine.
Yes it will be a pain to print to file in a container window,
then print the file from a host window, but there are ways around that.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK