SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

June 2020

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jun 2020 19:18:03 -0400
On Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 11:14 AM Larry Linder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> We liked how samba allow us to connect all systems.  Now even the Win 8
> and 10 machines do not see any of the other systems. They all see the
> other win machines but none of the linux machines.  On systems that are
> running VMWare the win machines can see VM.  I also found out that a
> number of BeagleBone Black on the network were running smb and were
> visible.  Last Saturday for an hr or so the smb network was running and
> I could access everything.  I resarted smb on the server and it all went
> away.
>
> I shut down all the devices on the network except for 1 Win 8 box and 1
> SL 6.10 box.  Nothing.

Stop there. Seriously. Stop using SL 6.10 as a server, the base
operating system is 10 years old, the Samba is tremendously out of
date and the client hosts you expect to play nicely with it have real
differences in their CIFS behavior. If you have lightweight content to
share from the old SL 6 environments, NFS share it to an SL 7 or SL 8
and run Samba there.

> I looked on the internet and read every alticle I could find about
> problem and ran at least 50 different "fixes" and nothing.  The hardware
> and systems are good as I can SSH into any computer on network.

I publish backports of current Samba releases for RHEL and CentOS (and
by implication SL) use. I've been porting Samba to distinct
environments since the 1990's I don't recommend starting with an
obsolete operating system, you'll burn tremendous time updating core
system components for compatibility.

> testparm and smbclient -L - everything looks OK.

testpam is your friend.

> After a number additions to a development copy of smb.conf and a lot of
> changes its almost like wen you restart smb, nmb, and winbind it is
> ignoring the smb.conf.
>
> Defining users in square brackets works so it is definatly reading the
> smb.conf and just doesn't pay any attention to most.  This is sort of
> redundant, but necessary to say.
>
> Is there any way to look at the network and really see what is going on?
>
> Larry Linder

Use  "wireshark" if you have to. But I urge you to dump an
unsupportable operating system and invest the sysadmin time elsewhere.