SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2020

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 May 2020 22:01:32 +0100
On Thu, 21 May 2020, Larry Linder wrote:

> So the world will migrate to a Chinese tablet or telephone and computers
> for industrial and engineering will disappear.  If you look at the
> slippery slope we will slip back into the dark ages of DOS and Assembly.
> There will not be enough of market for engineering and scientific
> computers to make the high volume low cost possible.

I've been fearing that since I heard that Dell had a line of
cloud-optimised servers.

> So much for negative stuff.
> A university group or government lab in the US should offer a New SL and
> maintain it.  The gate keeper should keep it in US English.  And please
> no more cheese Icons.

For those of us outside the US it isn't a given that a US base
is in our best interests. For one thing that suggests that it will
be commercial: SL only worked because it had a commercial product
(RedHat) behind it.

The strongest reason for us in the UK to want US rather than say German,
is indeed the language (though I wonder whether the US will turn to
Spanish ...)

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Kendal, UK