SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2020

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 2020 21:10:42 -0400
On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:29 PM Teh, Kenneth M.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is probably heresy to you but I'll pitch it anyway. I'm also a terminal, command line person, having started with AIX in '89, and VMS before that.
>
> I've been using Fedora with gnome 3 now for the past 3 years after I ran into problems with outdated development tools.  It is surprisingly very command line friendly. I invoke all my apps from the keyboard  The Super (Windows) key is your friend.  Hit Super and type the name of the app, and up pops its window.  And it does name completion as well showing your possible matched options after having typed only the first few letters of the app's name. And if you don't care to type the name, super and tab to "scroll" down the icons of your favorites on the dock, and hit return.
>
> And since CentOS is essentially Fedora-based, the file layouts are identical. I remember struggling to find files, even the package names when I had to put Ubuntu on a newly-bought laptop.
>
> My biggest concern was the rapid obsolescence. But I've learned to deal with it.  The upgrade is painless and the dnf system-upgrade has worked without any problems from 27 to 31 which is where I am now.
>
> Well, just my 2 bits.
>
> Good luck.

It's why I publish RPM building tools for vtwm, at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_vtwm-2D5.5.x-2Dsrpm&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=86AkxVobOiiYnsxjJOrEG0fPeEVdv7MJpk7i13eP6to&s=KKB9w_jCPp3S4gTfQXVLVQL4ob76veSK8uFfQU0CeSA&e=  Still works fine on CentOS
8, SL 7, and Fedora 32. It's *amazing* how much more stable software
can be when you KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid!)