SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2020 16:15:04 -0700
On 5/18/20 4:54 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 2:13 AM Akemi Yagi <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 8:18 PM Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> I have found gscan2pdf on the NUX repo, but installing this repo
>>> evidently will add and replace many utilities, etc., that may not be
>>> wise.  gscan2pdf runs fine on Ubuntu 18 LTS as I just put in on my
>>> wife's 2-in-1 that does not have tablet write-on support under SL 7 as
>>> far as I can determine.  Is there any SL 7.8 compatible gscan2pdf that
>>> works?
>>>
>>> Take care.  Stay safe.
>>>
>>> Yasha Karant
>> I've been using gscan2pdf from the nux-dextop repository without any
>> issue. Also, this repository, together with EPEL, should not overwrite
>> any base package.
>>
>> Akemi
> I'm personally reluctant to trust third party RPM repositories from
> Romania, they have a very active and abusive cracker community.but the
> SRPM from
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__li.nux.ro_download_nux_dextop_el7_SRPMS_gscan2pdf-2D1.2.5-2D2.el7.nux.src.rpm&d=DwIBaQ&c=B_W-eXUX249zycySS1AyzjABMeYirU1wvo9-GmMObjY&r=Z7xHp2tIJsvAE2FtPxl_lynvf4hA_FJ8mKsaIgvY6Dk&m=knBIe0JxmSUI-af995EwuorG9qw79W1SDujA9o1-DW4&s=KAdL127uDliK692ZlpFMVwEGC9HREwkQ80agoYvObHc&e=
> looks clean and builds well.
Niko.

If you are building from a src RPM, unless you read the source code or
have a very good automaton code scanner (as done by some of the
clandestine and other security agencies), how do you know that there is
no "malware" embedded in the source? For example, a "clean" source may
require the use of a compromised library or (in the cases of fork and
exec) executable, unless no related RPMs (or DEB, etc.) come from the
repo that may be questionable.  Akemi indicates no problem from
experience, but does Akemi have safeguards and "sniffers" running  that
would detect an inappropriate packet being transmitted (that might
contain root password or other "sensitive" information)?

If you have built the RPM and are reasonably confident that it is
"clean", could you kindly post or supply the exact build script that you
used, including any other RPMs that are required but that come from
trusted repos?

I generally trust SL (and EPEL, ElRepo, Oracle, Canonical, Mozilla,
Libreoffice, etc.), but I get worried about repos and sources from
nation-states or entities with large scale compromise organizations
(e.g., professional "organized criminial" enterprises or clandestine
services "backdoors").

Take care.  Stay safe.

Yasha Karant