SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2020 20:25:53 -0700
Bonnie,

Thanks for that answer.  So Fermilab / CERN has the resources to support
SL even after both entities and their HEP collaborations are switching
to (CERN) CentOS 8?  I am guessing that the special internal
collaboration "applications" and resources, closed to those outside the
collaboration contracts (the agreements that must be signed by the
institution "officers" and PIs that are part of the collaboration in
order to be part of the collaboration and get author listed on the
official publications and presentations of each collaboration), will
migrate to EL 8 and not continue to be "current" under EL 7.  I also am
guessing that your group (even after the end of Scientific Linux
Architecture, presumably with a new group "title", etc.) will be
responsible for much of that work (possibly not HEP applications
algorithms and design, but some of the implementation and much of the
deployment).

The other point:  will EPEL, ElRepo, etc., (NOT part of Fermilab/CERN,
and not supported by the various "government" funding that supports
Fermilab in the USA and CERN in Europe) also continue to support SL 7 (I
know that almost all RPMs designed for CentOS 7 "load" into SL 7, as all
are "EL 7")?  I understand that you are NOT the official contact for
those other entities and do not support their efforts, but are there any
subscribers to this list who can answer this point?

Stay safe.  Take care.

Yasha Karant