SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 2020 23:36:17 -0700
John,

Thank you for posting the item below.  For a progress report:

Using yumex, removing the opera repo that could not be found, and
eliminating one conflicting package from the list of RPMs (making a
guess as to which specific one needed to be removed, as I use the
proprietary Nvidia Xwindows RPM and the conflict referenced nvidia, but
not the actual kernel driver and related interfaces), I now have a SL
7.8 system on my laptop workstation.  The issues with Firefox and
Thunderbird seem to be resolved, and thus far, all of the applications I
have tested, both those supplied by an EL repo as well as others (e.g.,
Nero Linux, Qoppa PDF Studio Pro, Grace, Paraview, UCSF Chimera, VMWare
Player, VirtualBox, etc.) all seem to be working.  Thus, the system was
left in an unstable state when I did just enough to get Kdenlive to
run.  As it is almost midnight local time, I again have access to my
university's IMAP and SMTP server (that in fact are for-fee Microsoft
Exchange "cloud" services, throttled based upon the fee structure) as
the systems at this hour of the night are not over-subscribed.

Other than for security patches, is SL 7.8 the end of SL 7?  If so, the
next change I shall institute probably will be to Ubuntu 20 LTS that is
due summer 2020.  I know that the home directory and related non-systems
directories are portable from SL 7 to Ubuntu 18 LTS and thus probably to
Ubuntu 20 LTS, as I copied all of my wife's such directories from a
conventional laptop running SL 7 to her new Dell 2-in-1 that she needs
to provide an on-line chalkboard (e.g., a written virtual paper tablet
using Stylus Labs write that does work with the Dell stylus -- only the
internal microphone cannot be made to work because Dell will not release
in any form the microphone code that is incorporated into the Dell
supplied Ubuntu port that was used by Canonical Ubuntu to "certify" the
machine as Linux supported -- Dell evidently will not allow that machine
with Dell Ubuntu to be sold in the USA market, only a MS Win version).
Once I installed Ubuntu LTS MATE, everything worked on her machine, and
I suspect it will work on this one as well.  Of course, I will image all
of my personal, etc., directories onto a USB external harddrive from
which I shall copy back to this machine once Ubuntu LTS is installed.
At this point, I am not considering going to either CentOS or Oracle EL 8.

As we have a residential DSL Internet connection, the yumex upgrade from
start to successful reboot lasted approximately 5 hours.  I had to wait
until there were no Zoom sessions being required.

Stay safe.  Take care.

Yasha Karant