SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

April 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2020 14:17:10 -0700
Thanks for the comments.  Is BNL still part of the HEP collaborations?
If so, would you not have access to the internal CERN-Fermilab EL8
"distro", with the internal "support"?

The Zoom client in use is NOT from Ubuntu -- it is supplied by the
university IT unit, and we are both at the same university.  It is
required that we use this Zoom through the university Blackboard system.

The fact that major release upgrades can be done in place is an
attractive one for Ubuntu LTS -- this is nothing like the major endeavor
to move from EL-N to EL-N+1 .  I still will backup user files and any
special applications (not required university downloads).

One "gotcha" with Ubuntu LTS on a Dell.  The box was certified by
Canonical but using a modified installation from Dell.  In the USA, the
Ubuntu LTS Dell "factory configured" unit does not appear to be for sale
-- the order had to be made by authorized university staff, not by any
Faculty member nor any research staff person.  All that could be
obtained was a MS Win configured unit. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and
MATE, as well as the Nvidia proprietary Xwindows backend.  With a bit of
digging, everything worked *EXCEPT* for the built-in microphone system.
An external USB microphone works fine.  From reading "developer" lists,
it appears that the microphone system is not supported by the standard
distro (https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__bugzilla.kernel.org_show-5Fbug.cgi-3Fid-3D201251&d=DwIDaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=wfrLb9YUyIZw9qkCFoJPcYDJoe8tKLhNOA1KCknWpGo&s=D25aIqITvV1tubz__3slAPvgGYI8puiSNYi-z9lW_3A&e= ).  Dell has
installed a proprietary driver but will not release the driver. The
nominal head of the Dell Linux "group" is Barton George, but there is no
contact information for him (he has a subscribe-to blog, but no real
information there).  When I called Dell EMC technical support, because
the service tag number on the unit specifies MS Win, and I requested
even licensing for fee the Dell Ubuntu 18.04 distro, the Dell support
person simply rang off without a word.  I did not bother to try again.

As for your use of an admin cover account for root -- I do the same for
any machine to which an arbitrary person could have access, or that is a
server on the Internet.  In fact, I usually put a honey-pot trap for
those who attempt to get to root. However, this is my wife's personal
machine that will be on her person and is not a server -- just a
portable workstation.  I prefer the Mozilla installs of Firefox and
Thunderbird, not any that are ported by a distro or other third party.
Mozilla prevents these from being updated in place by an enduser as far
as I can tell; I keep these updated not only for bug fixes, but for
security patches as well.  As root, the update within both Firefox and
Thunderbird goes to the Mozilla server(s), not any distro, and updates.

We were going to get the HP equivalent of the Dell, but the cost
differential was $1k and the university would not consider it.
Evidently, everything does work on the HP, and HP will (in the past when
I needed it) supply proprietary drivers (that is, Linux ports of the
driver from the proprietary specifications supplied to Microsoft).

Stay safe -- stay isolated.

Yasha Karant