SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 Mar 2020 10:38:38 -0400
Thank You All.

We looked at what did not work and decided that there was something
really wrong with the Cent 8 install we had.  The final clue was that we
could not run multiple terminal windows so you could not look at several
things at once.

nmcli could not find files and just died.  We were never able to change
IP.  We could not execute any application other than LibreOffice.  There
is something basically loused up the installation of Cent 8 and we could
not find it.
Solution:
We did a low level format on the disk Cent 8 was on.  Just too much time
spent to get nowhere.

Last night we installed PC Linux and in a 1/2 hr it was up and running.
Have not tried applications yet.  Correct IP multiple terminals, other
boxes see it.

Most of our boxes and server run SL 6.9 and 7.6 so we have a few
years.
The experience did a lot for us as to not consider RH for a purchase.

My only concern is that there is fork in the road.  Hand held devices
for the mass users and the right fork in the road is now partially
closed.  The kids just can't get it right because they have never used a
computer for anything else but "eye candy" and think its ok to use a
million mouse clicks to do something simple.

>From an engineering standpoint windows 10 is rubish, RH is following
down the same path.  So where do real engineers who need a stable
platform turn to.  It appears that RH has been IBM'd so it now useless
too.

SL should consider maintaining a SL linux for the sicentific /
engineering community.

My Last two cents worth

Larry Linder
.