SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2020

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 12:38:11 -0400
Boss asked us to take another look at Cent 8 because Cent 8 box in
corner was using an IP address that is in middle of several machine
tools.

It had been running since oct 19 and we gave up on it at end of December
as basically worthless.

I looked at all the pages of directions on the internet and Cent pages
for a way to change the IP to a range that is used for our boxes.  When
you run ifconfig -a you see the configuration and no eth0 or eth1 but
you find enp3s0:
First I found the configuration tools don't work.
network-scrips is now empty.
I used yu to install scripts.
Edited eth0 to correct address and rebooted as "tool" didn't work.

Something is very wrong.  The manual pages from RH dont work, other
published directions are as if written for system zzz.  Cent help pages
are useless as they cover Cent 7 and little of no Cent 8 real help.

Anybody who has actually changed the IP to static sucessfully - please
tell me how they did it.

The boss looked at the bill for switching to another OS that is not a
derivative of RedHat and maybe a Macks and he wanted us to really look
at Cent 8 again.  As a business it all the bottom line, there is nothing
free.
We have a considerable investment in SL from 4 to 7.6 and I would hate
to think of the cost of just tossing it all.

Is there an alternative desk top as Gnome as it is terrible, You can't
have two terminals open at once at least on this system.

The only thing that worked was LibreOffice. The rest is nonsensical.
As you all can guess is that I am an engineer and not an IT person.

Larry Linder