SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2020

From:
Steve Rikli <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Rikli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 13:54:35 -0700
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:38:11PM -0400, Larry Linder wrote:
> I looked at all the pages of directions on the internet and Cent pages
> for a way to change the IP to a range that is used for our boxes.  When
> you run ifconfig -a you see the configuration and no eth0 or eth1 but
> you find enp3s0:
> First I found the configuration tools don't work.
> network-scrips is now empty.
> I used yu to install scripts.
> Edited eth0 to correct address and rebooted as "tool" didn't work.

You can still edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-* like EL6 and
EL7 -- we do this for static IP on the couple of EL8 servers we tried out.
But you may have to create it yourself if dracut didn't create it for you
during install.

But one thing you can _not_ do is stop NetworkManager -- not anymore.
It is mandatory in EL8.  I.e. forget about "NM_CONTROLLED=no".

There are still e.g. '/usr/bin/ifup' and related scripts, but you'll
find they're generally wrappers around NetworkManager cli commands at
this point.

Also, it may be worth checking out package NetworkManager-config-server;
I haven't seriously looked into it yet, but it's apparently a profile
config file for servers under NetworkManager.

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread, the new NIC names (eth vs. enp)
is a separate issue from ifcfg-* configuration.  The new NIC naming
scheme has been around since EL7.

> Is there an alternative desk top as Gnome as it is terrible, You can't
> have two terminals open at once at least on this system.

I switched to XFCE a while ago (circa Gnome3) for new installs and have
been pretty happy, YMMV; for me the wins are:

- easily installable on Red Hat-flavored releases via EPEL
- easily found on Debian et al too
- xfce4-terminal is reasonably compatible with gnome-terminal
- most of the Gnome2 widgits I used had XFCE counterparts or equivalents
- XFCE "feels" pretty lightweight and simple to me

My $.02, if you're a "I just need a window manager, xterms, browser, and
maybe some clocks and stuff" person, you'll get on OK with XFCE.

If you want something fancier with dynamic menus and "hot corners" and
other active moving parts like a Mac, you might look around first.

Overall I like being able to use the same window manager on all my
different Linuxes.  I don't have a graphical FreeBSD at the moment, only
servers, but I expect I could have XFCE there as well -- it's in the
Ports Collection, at least.

Disclaimer:  I have not yet tried XFCE on an EL8 desktop, as our EL8
systems are servers.  My XFCE experience so far is CentOS7 and Debian.

Cheers,
sr.