SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2020

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:13:11 -0400
On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 1:02 PM Larry Linder
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Boss asked us to take another look at Cent 8 because Cent 8 box in
> corner was using an IP address that is in middle of several machine
> tools.
>
> It had been running since oct 19 and we gave up on it at end of December
> as basically worthless.
>
> I looked at all the pages of directions on the internet and Cent pages
> for a way to change the IP to a range that is used for our boxes.  When
> you run ifconfig -a you see the configuration and no eth0 or eth1 but
> you find enp3s0:
> First I found the configuration tools don't work.
> network-scrips is now empty.
> I used yu to install scripts.
> Edited eth0 to correct address and rebooted as "tool" didn't work.

enp3s0 is now the bunny, and it's by default using systemd based DHCP
running under NetworkManager. I'm not happy, but do *not* try to reset
the ethernet device name to eth0. And I urge you to stop trying to
replace those scripts, you'll hurt yourself.

There is a a curses based GUI to NetworkManager called "nmtui". it
should be part of the base install. If not

> Anybody who has actually changed the IP to static sucessfully - please
> tell me how they did it.

Raising my hand here.

> The boss looked at the bill for switching to another OS that is not a
> derivative of RedHat and maybe a Macks and he wanted us to really look
> at Cent 8 again.  As a business it all the bottom line, there is nothing
> free

I'm not happy with a lot of the aspects of RHEL 8 and CentOS 8 and
may, basically, give it a miss. I know of no company that has embraced
it: the only compelling reason to use it is the beter integration with
Python 3 and other more modern tools.
.
> We have a considerable investment in SL from 4 to 7.6 and I would hate
> to think of the cost of just tossing it all.

> Is there an alternative desk top as Gnome as it is terrible, You can't
> have two terminals open at once at least on this system.

Good lord, yes, I'll recommend "vtwm" which I publish RPM building
tools for at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_vtwm-2D5.5.x-2Dsrpm&d=DwIBaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=sdaEllVCx-vq_w5M4_D-QnOLCFnfv6iXNfzFgbggi20&s=dDyxIPzs1YNgpDIiVijx8g_YgfvpUNzRkmxGKJyubeM&e=  . It's been bog
stable for nearly 15 years and runs on *EVERYTHING*.