SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

March 2020

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Mar 2020 18:44:47 +0000
> On 17 Mar 2020, at 16:38, Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> When
> you run ifconfig -a you see the configuration and no eth0 or eth1 but
> you find enp3s0:

This has been the case since well before Centos 8 came out. The eth* devices were replaced by device specific names years ago. If you add "net.ifnames=0 biosdevname=0" to the kernel arguments for the install (we do this for the kickstart/pxe menus) then you can get eth* names back. We tend to do that on VMs as we don't care what the actual emulated device is on those.

All the Centos 8 VMs I've kickstarted have ifcfg-* files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. The important thing is that they have UUIDs that link them to NetworkManager. I think it was only in Fedora 30 (or maybe 29) when these scripts actually went away or stopped working). On Centos 7 the trick was to add "NM_CONTROLLED=no" and "HWADDR=<mac>" to these scripts to stop NetworkManager managing them. I've not had the need to set a static IP yet on a Centos 8 system yet (most of our managed switch ports require DHCP).

We are starting to use Centos 8 for our production VMs (puppet servers, blog/web hosts) and it's fine for us. We use Fedora for teaching desktops and servers, SL7/Centos 7 and Centos 8 for infrastructure servers and VMs. We have legacy issues too, we are only just getting rid of some core SL6 servers). We have a single set of RPM specs to make the custom packages we need, and a single (rather messy) puppet config to configure them. YMMV.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.