SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2020

From:
Paddy Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paddy Doyle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 2020 11:00:30 +0000
We're a university HPC centre.

We've been using SL since at least SL4 (before that was before my time),
and currently mostly on SL7 with a few SL6 still dotted around on older
clusters.

Certainly in the past there was a requirement to have a RHEL-like OS for
certain core software packages. Probably less so now, but most of our
tooling is still based around SL so there hasn't been a big impetus to
change. Plus the stability of the longer RHEL life cycle has been a big
plus for stable clusters (*).

On non-cluster nodes we have a mixture of some other OS's.

We're very thankful for all of the work the SL team has put in over the
years!

And to everyone on this list who has been so generous with their time.

In terms of the future, we're mainly focussed on CentOS 8 as it should be
most similar to our current deployment tools, and since that's where CERN
etc are going it seems like a good option. No doubt there will be teeting
pains, but life has to be interesting, right. :)

Paddy

(*) although more recently some people are asking more and more for the
latest and greatest.. yes, we're looking at you ML and AI! :)

--
Paddy Doyle
Research IT / Trinity Centre for High Performance Computing,