SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2020

Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2020 08:48:18 -0600
Didn't plan on chiming in but Larry's post tugged.

I started with Slackware in '93, kernel 1.3, looking for an cheap X11
workstation alternative to the then $15k a pop SunOS workstations, of which we
could only afford 2.  I proposed to my division director to let me buy 12
Pentium 90's at $2k a pop to deploy this new thing called a linux workstation. I
recall a committee of two, one from our scientific computing division, who
advised against it, saying there was no vendor backing. Lucky for me, my
division director took a chance. Well, the rest, they say, is history.

Like Larry I switched to RedHat when they came in boxes. I stumbled on SL when I
started working on ROOT. Version 0.6 then. There was this thing called
FermiLinux and when Redhat stopped selling boxes and wanted a subscription for
RHEL, I switched us over to SL.

Remember Connie's photos when SL started installing?

The SL mailing list is fantastic resource. I suspect like all good things it
will also come to an end. I hope it lasts a little longer, at least till I
retire, so we can all bitch about CentOS 8 and commiserate together the loss of
SL. Lol.