SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2020

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2020 14:57:09 +0100
Bonjour,

> On 25. Feb 2020, at 10:49, Winnie Lacesso <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> This was posted to SLU in 2012 but didn't get any actual answers. It's
> reposted in case anyone can firmly say (or no) that the situation has
> changed or is the same. *Is* it true that CentOS still have a period when
> they do *not* release security updates for earlier OS dot releases, thus
> leaving those earlier dot releases vulnerable?

They generally don't release updates for earlier dot releases, only for the
latest minor CentOS release that was published. This hasn't changed.

There has been some improvement regarding the gap between a RHEL minor release
and completion of the corresponding CentOS one though, by introducing the
"continuous release" repository.

See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__wiki.centos.org_AdditionalResources_Repositories_CR&d=DwIFAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=LxbR4yysOdbJMOaCGY2Kb9EjwR9OrU9BXf9boXHIq9k&s=g09K_rNgLAQ74tt0xdcRHuJjDrDYtcRInBge7vfRN6Q&e=  for details.

But you still have to update to the latest dot release as soon as it's published
to continue receiving package updates.

It's also still true that CentOS does not distinguish security updates from
bug fixes and enhancements.

> (Security is one reason we stuck with SL with Super-Gratitude to them!)

Indeed the SL team at FNAL has been doing an outstanding job providing
security updates for their minor releases. I'm afraid the only equivalent
replacement for SL is a RHEL subscription with the EUS add-on.

Hope this helps
	Stephan