SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2020

From:
Serguei Mokhov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2020 09:49:30 -0500
In the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science, at
Concordia University, Montreal, we've been using SL since around SL5
for our 100+ servers, 1000+ lab desktops (dual boot), and recent HPC
facility Speed (concordia.ca/ginacody/aits/speed) loaded with all kind
of engineering and parallel processing packages and stuff for
deeplearning, etc. -- the packages are compiled on an NFS-mounted
software partition at all locations.

Why? Primarily because SL was championed by Fermilab and CERN and
provided support for minor version releases unlike CentOS. And we've
been a RH shop in the past for all of our infrastructure for a long
time. SL was the best stable option compared to the alternatives back
then and CentOS faced uncertainty. We tried Fedora in the past for the
desktops, but maintaining that many lab desktops every semester from
bleeding edge updates breaking stuff too often, forced us to move
desktops off Fedora to SL as well.

Still using it all today, but for EL8 we will be something of an
adventure I guess at some point in the future.

-s

--
Serguei Mokhov
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.cs.concordia.ca_-7Emokhov&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=ReXrKueW8ZKy6ZeDrhbuU0jFxocBkwAtzvgZ8Lw2ARo&s=be7he2wCrlv4hIwX_h0scVYIki4Qb7seECAg7OOc-MY&e=