SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

February 2020

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2020 06:30:46 -0500
On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 9:02 PM Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 03/02/2020 21:39, Stephan Wiesand wrote:
>
> On 3. Feb 2020, at 22:23, ONeal, Miles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>  And there's no real reason to get the source from anywhere but RHEL, since it's freely available.

It depends on the license and the software. The git repositories for
almost everything over at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__git.centos.org_&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=li4TL3fJXPhFZO5hKHkbW_zPyiqlCuGL7H8FmH4nY3U&s=1DfKpzfAoaLWSYGuZjVUWDEfs-kh9u_MMx3Aakq6mf0&e=

> Care to share a pointer to the freely available SRPM for one of today's updates, like gnome-settings-daemon-3.28.1-3.el7_6.src.rpm?

> I can't speak for the specific update you mention but in order to get Red Hat source all you need is legitimate access to it. One can of course buy a Red Hat licence (presumably Oracle can afford this) but access to the source code is also freely available. Just sign up for a Red Hat dev licence and, as per GPL requirements, you get access to the source RPMs (in a 9.8GB ISO).

It's why I keep active RHEL licenses, and publish tools at
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_nkadel_nkadel-2Drsync-2Dscripts&d=DwIFaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=li4TL3fJXPhFZO5hKHkbW_zPyiqlCuGL7H8FmH4nY3U&s=AGgZirGFOKxjaBNo1BgsZqG5kzZ8TN-wxAc6HjrBhwQ&e=  to maintain an internal
reposync mirror. I use them for building tools with "mock". and for
picking apart dependencies for other tools like, say, Samba backports
with full AD controllers enabled on. There have been cases where  It
lets me use the local mirror on my RHEL systems for debugging the
build process.

I also published tools for mirroring CentOS and Scientific Linux
there, for building similar internal mirrors and keeping my update or
kickstart cluster builds  the upstream servers.

> The dev licence limits you to running Red Hat for development and test purposes as I recall but, as I understand it (I am not a lawyer), none of that prevents you from exercising your GPL rights with the source code.

Please, you actually need to check them. it *depends on the package*.
Almost all python modules are python licensed, httpd and tomcat are
apache licensed, it really does depend..

> Naturally, certain parts of all that code and associated files contain Red Hat's trademarked intellectual property and branding which is not covered by GPL, so if one wishes to redistribute the code then one has the easy little job of removing all the IP/branding first. ;-)

Pleae, please, check the individual package licenses for your own
protection! I've had the experience of catching an engineer publishing
software on Github that he'd filed the BSD  notices off of, and I was
*very* glad that I'd made him turn over his git history before we
published.