SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-DEVEL Archives

February 2020

From:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pat Riehecky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 2020 08:09:46 -0600
Thanks for taking the time to research, write, and send this to
Scientific Linux!  The best way to get this included in a new version of
Scientific Linux is to get the fix included further up stream.[1]  That
way groups other than this one can benefit from your work on this
issue.  From our side we try not to deviate very much from what our
upstream provider is doing.  Our hope is that by following them closely
we reduce the possible problems our users encounter.  But this can lead
to some tension in the application of patches, particularly patches that
fix problems.

One of the best ways we can give back to our upstream providers is fixes
like this one.  I hope that you can open a bug with them so that
everyone can benefit from this.  As a point of etiquette, they prefer
not to have mention of SL on their bug tracker.  Our source, for any
package they provide, is their source.  Any patches we apply are noted
in the changelog with justifications and generally attributed to Connie,
Troy, myself, or the Scientific Linux Development list.

Right now our commitment to improving SL, assisting upstream in fixes,
and generally trying to give back to the linux community at large gives
us pause before applying any patch for upstream packages which doesn't
have an associated bugzilla number.  They've given us so much, we want
to try and give back where we can and help encourage others to do so in
the spirit of the open source movement.

Again, thank you for your efforts here!  Please feel free to continue to
contribute regularly to [log in to unmask]

[1] http://bugzilla.redhat.com/

--
Pat Riehecky

Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory