SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2020

From:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Yasha Karant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jan 2020 17:57:24 -0800
At this point in terms of application support for EL 7 (including SL 7)
from external entities (such as Calibre -- there are others), I am going
soon to be forced to go to another Linux.  The options appear to be drop
EL entirely and go to Ubuntu  LTS ("stable") current, or to stay with EL
and use Springdale (Princeton) EL8 when (if?) it is available, or Oracle
8 EL.  Thus far, everyone I have contacted who did a clean install of
Oracle 8 (and then copied back files, directory trees, etc., from the
non-systems areas of an EL 7 working system) have had no issues.
However, I am very concerned about support for Oracle 8 other than
purchasing support from Oracle.  Do the various professional
repositories for SL 7 (and EL 7 in general) such as EPEL have an EL 8
version that work seamlessly with Oracle 8 (or Springdale for that matter)?

In the best of all possible worlds, I or my students would have time to
build applications from source -- but there are too many and not enough
time, forcing the use of repositories with pre-built RPMs (or DEBs if we
switch to Ubuntu).  Note that we run the same base OS on servers
(including HPC compute servers with Nvidia CUDA GPUs) as well as desktop
and laptop machines, all presently X86-64 based (this may change for at
least some of the servers).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Yasha Karant