SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2020

Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 2020 07:35:37 -0600
I've switched to using Fedora for myself and my users. If you are prepared for
its short lifecycle, it is actually very usable. I've found upgrading to be
quite painless.  I don't use Fedora on servers for obvious reasons.

I used ubuntu briefly a decade ago on a laptop and struggled with it. Not a put
down on ubuntu but more a statement about myself.

I was used to redhat's conventions. I wrote a lot of code then and knew how to
find development rpms, where the files are located after installed. I struggled
with the dpkg/apt/synaptics for me. Rpm/dnf is a lot easier for me probably
because I am used to it. Dnf is pretty much yum so there is no problem there.
And I knew a bit of how to build rpms myself. I was loathe to learn dpkg.

We've gone with Fedora on the desktop and CentOS on servers and desktops

Hope this helps.