SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

November 2019

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2019 14:26:40 -0400
I replaced Centos 8 video driver with nvidia driver and now the left is
left and right is right.  So next sw upgrade this will probably go away
as it did last sw update.

You can't lauch more than one terminal window from the drop down.  You
have to launch a terminal window from the previous terminal window and
low and behold you are back to your login and not the directory the 1st
window location.

We tried to run cups and it complains that the return was too fast for
the systemctl to see.

This is insane madness.

Before we abandon Centos 8 is there another desktop that is rational??

I tried the BOXES and fundamentally got no where.  The directions
are ???.

There are two things that work 1. OpenOffice - I can get files on server
and edit them but because of some security problem can't save them.
2. Firefox does run and you can cruise the network but for some reason
the downloaded files are in the correct location but zero length.

So basically after a mounth of fooling around with centos 8 I have to
declare it a nugetory contrivance.

1 more week and we have to reload SL 7.6 and give it up.  Maybe we will
try RH 9 in a few years.

Larry Linder