SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2019 13:31:39 +0200
[resent with correct mail identity]

On 09/10/2019 02:19, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>> Centos 8 problems.
>> 1. We noticed that the mouse wheel has changed direction ...
>
> Some of the issues described are Gnome3 "features", not
> just CentOS.  I switched to Mate, a fork which resembles
> Gnome2.  I hope the Mate team outlives me.  Send money
> to them.
>
> I don't use tablets, "smart phones" (aka "dodo-paddles"),
> gestures (besides the venerable middle digit), and other
> cat-video-interface indoctrination and surveillance tools.

This is FUD ... And to be honest I did believe this too in the early GNOME
3/GNOME Shell days.  But nowadays GNOME 3 is by far more keyboard friendly
than GNOME 2 was.  Nowadays, I mostly use the mouse to mark text and keep the
right window focused (I use focus-follows-mouse).

So ...

- alt-tab with cursor keys to quickly flip windows without mouse.

- To open, say Firefox - hit the Windows-key, type "firef [ENTER]" - if there
are multiple matches, use cursor keys.  And search results are adaptive, so if
you search for the same thing more often, it appears higher up in the result
list.

- To move windows, hit ALT-F7 and move the window with cursor keys (or go via
the ALT+Space menu)

- To resize windows, hit ALT-F8 and resize the window with cursor keys (or go
via ALT+Space menu)

- Maximize window: Windows key + cursor key UP

- Normalize window: Windows key + cursor key DOWN

- Maximize only cover half left or right side of the screen: Windows key +
cursor key LEFT/RIGHT (undo by doing it once more, or Windows key + Cursor DOWN)

- Restart GNOME Shell: ALT+F2 and type "r [enter]"

- Move window to another workspace: Focus the window you want to move and hit
CTRL-ALT-SHIFT + cursor UP/DOWN

- Switch workspace: CTRL-ALT + cursor UP/DOWN

- Hit ctrl-alt-tab, and cursor keys now highlights things available on the
"top bar" on the screen, allowing you to access those elements using cursor
keys and the enter key.

and the list goes on.

Oh, hit the Windows key and search for "keyboard" and go down with cursor keys
to "Settings -> Keyboard", and you see all the shortcuts there and can change
or add more if you want.  Looking for something particular in that Keyboard
settings window, just start typing what you're searching for.

If you've also configured GNOME to also index documents and contacts, they all
appear when you start searching (via the Windows-key).

I don't mind people bashing and complaining about bad software.  But only when
the facts are right.

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth