SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lamar Owen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2019 16:35:33 -0400
On 10/5/19 1:25 PM, Larry Linder wrote:
> ... Centos 8 problems. 1. We noticed that the mouse wheel has changed
> direction - why after 40 years. This should be removed.
So, I checked into this, and I can't duplicate it on my CentOS 8 VM.
The scroll wheel here is 'sane,' and works the way I expect. Although I
kindof find it humorous that you don't like the scroll wheel following
the touchpad direction and then later praise macOS, when Apple was one
of the first to switch to the 'new' scroll wheel behavior.....  also,
the mouse wheel itself is only 34 years old, and didn't become a
commercial offering until 1995, 24 years ago.

> 2. We changed the mouse direction back to to what it had been for 40
> years and now you can't copy some command lines from a tutorial we are
> looking at with the browser.
How did you change the scroll wheel direction?  That would help find the
side effect that broke copy/paste, among other side effects.

> 3. "bash" refuses to execute any command line code or linux executable
> file.
Something is odd here, since if everyone had this problem the mailing
lists would be full of reports of the issue.  I haven't had any issues
of this kind with my testing CentOS 8 VM.

> 4. There does not appear to be a C Shell. We have 100's of usefull
> scripts that don't work. The man pages are there but no /bin/csh.
yum install tcsh  (it's not installed by default).

> 5. We were able to install NVidea drivers but it still didn't work.
> You have a couple of commands to run to set default to nvidea driver.
> This is the only thing that has worked.

The rpmfusion repository has RPM-packaged nvidia drivers ready to go.
Go to rpmfusion.org, follow the directions to enable both the
rpmfusion-free and rpmfusion-nonfree repositories, and then
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia

Or use ELrepo's time-tested packaging once it's packaged and ready (as
of 16:17 EDT Saturday 10/5/2019 it's not in the main elrepo
repository).  Just don't try to mix elrepo and rpmfusion. This is one of
the main things I'm waiting on to transition my primary laptop to CentOS
8, along with a few EPEL packages that are in the build queue.  I've
been playing around with a CentOS 8 VM to get used to things.  There are
a number of things that I've had to go dig for to get the behavior I'm
used to (an Applications menu, a Places menu, workspaces that work the
way I work, and a few others, most MOST ANNOYINGLY the absence of the
minimize and maximize buttons in the default window decorations), but I
had to do most of those when 7.0 was introduced, too.

> 6. When you drag a terminal to the desktop and click to select it. It
> rearranges all the other desktop terminal windows.
I have no idea what you mean by 'drag a terminal to the desktop' as I've
never opened a terminal that way; what do you mean by this?  I can't
reproduce.  I just either go to 'Activities' or 'Applications ->
Favorites' and click on the terminal.  I can open several, and clicking
on any of them doesn't move any other.

> 9. After fixing the mouse direction we cannot even run "yum" Checked
> permissions and paths but bash can't find it.
What does the output of 'which yum' say?  What exactly did you do to
'fix' the mouse direction?  Something else got flummoxed, methinks.

> 10 The neat little GUI that allowed you to set up users, groups,
> specify UID, home directory and shell for users is gone too. It all
> back to the command line.
Settings -> Details -> Users is the default GUI to do this, but it
doesn't have some of the settings the tool you're talking about did.
... snip other items I don't have any suggestions about or that I can't
duplicate...

> 15 Setting up network and fixed IP's was a major major cammand line
> exercise. The old utility that made it easy is now gone.
The GUI is now in Settings -> Network (the settings tool can be found by
clicking the upper right corner section of the panel, where the network,
speaker, and power icons are; look for the icon that somewhat resembles
a double-ended open-end wrench with a screwdriver diagonally across it;
the button to the immediate left of the lock screen button).

If you want a fairly simple and easy to use text interface, then:
yum install NetworkManager-tui
And then run:
nmtui

> 16 None of my CAD / CAM packages work! So there is nothing to plot.
You'll need to take that up with the CAD package vendor.  You can of
course continue to use 7.x until 2024, your CAD/CAM vendor will have
another version that will work with EL8 by then.

> 17 Last step is to reinstall SL 7.6 with KDE on text box and call it
> done.

Possibly the best thing to do for your use case.

I'm not especially fond of some of the UI changes and removing of some
very useful GUI tools I have used for a while, either.