SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephan Wiesand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2019 17:30:32 +0200
> On 17. Oct 2019, at 14:01, David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> You do know that Oracle EL is based on CentOS source RPMs?

Given that they released 8 more than two months before CentOS, I'm not sure that's
correct?

Speaking of source RPMs, does anyone know where to find the latest CentOS 8 ones?
I thought they're supposed to be available on vault.centos.org, but that seems to
be lagging behind. Am I missing something, or will I have to learn how to rebuild
them from git.centos.org content?

>  So why would
> Oracle EL be better than CentOS in this case, which would also be an implicit
> support of a company not being much open source friendly (just look at what
> has happened with java/openjdk, openoffice.org/libreoffice, mysql/mariadb).

Nobody loves Oracle, but - while I haven't tried it yet - it looks like their
Linux folks are doing a pretty decent job providing an EL clone.

--
Stephan