SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2019 13:25:32 -0400
After tossing in the towel last Thursday we decided to try the nvidea
install and it worked.  It is nice to have my dual high resulation
displays back.

Centos 8 problems.

1. We noticed that the mouse wheel has changed direction - why after 40
years. This should be removed.

2.  We changed the mouse direction back to to what it had been for 40
years and now you can't copy some command lines from a tutorial we are
looking at with the browser.

3.  "bash" refuses to execute any command line code or linux executable
file.

4.  There does not appear to be a C Shell.  We have 100's of usefull
scripts that don't work.  The man pages are there but no /bin/csh.

5.   We were able to install NVidea drivers but it still didn't work.
You have a couple of commands to run to set default to nvidea driver.
This is the only thing that has worked.

6.   When you drag a terminal to the desktop and click to select it.  It
rearranges all the other desktop terminal windows.

7.   Focus follows the mouse was one of the most useful things when
putting data into other documents or spreadsheets.  Without it it makes
doing my bank ledger almost impossible.

8.   Simple things are now complicated and require 3 to 4 time more
mousing around to accomplish a simple task.

9.   After fixing the mouse direction we cannot even run "yum"  Checked
permissions and paths but bash can't find it.

10   The neat little GUI that allowed you to set up users, groups,
specify UID, home directory and shell for users is gone too.  It all
back to the command line.

11    The function to add a member to "group" doesn't work.  It does not
change the "group" file or maybe the group file has gone away too.

12    "fstab is now jiberish and the man pages have not changes.  I need
to add a couple of directories the install disk partitions the insall
did not install.

13    after a lot of fooling around we were able to install one printer
out of the 6.  It could not find the printserver so our large format HP
Plotter could not be installed.

14    Libera office can now get to documents on the server, you can edit
and change file name and save them.  A great improvement.

15    Setting up network and fixed IP's was a major major cammand line
exercise.  The old utility that made it easy is now gone.

16    None of my CAD / CAM packages work!  So there is nothing to plot.

17    Last step is to reinstall SL 7.6 with KDE  on text box and call it
done.

Thank You again SL troops for the great work.

I hate to say this:
The most productive system in the shop is SL 5.11 running KDE 3.4.  It
has 12 desktops, with VM-Ware it runs all our old Windows apps we need
to support paying customers.  Focus Follows mouse and you can edit and
paste documents just by moving the mouse.  It can capture sections for a
windows cad package and you can paste the prawing into an Appache
OpenOffice documtent and get you work done and get home for supper.

Centos 8 is a major loss to the engineering community!!!

RedHat & Centos has laid a big Egg.  The product should be recalled as a
defective product as its basically useless.

I would advise anyone who is a unix / linux user to not even bother with
installing it,

If Red Hat were smart they would look at all the good stuff that has
worked for years and make sure new OS included them and they would have
a winner.  They may not be fancy but they work.

The thought process of its got to be "new" or is "dead" is defective
though.  You build on what works.
I very apparent that the developers have never worked in industry and a
very limited experience with doing useful work

A note on Fedora 20 years ago I complained to the Fedora community about
a problem in a version.  The response from a "KID" not good.  Basically
shot the messenger.  We turned FIDERA OFF.

Now if Apple made the Mac OS available at a reasonable cost Window 10
and Linux would simply cese to exist.

You always have to remind your self it take time it costs money.
If it a good product the customer will be on your door step with cash in
hand.  If there are no customers things will go cold and dark and you
will become hungry.

Another weekend almost shot- I am going back to sleep.

Larry Linder

I reminds me of the release of Windows 3.0 in early 90's that only did
business cards and nothing else.  It was pretty short lived