SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Sommerseth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 2019 21:51:23 +0200
On 09/10/2019 21:15, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:10:50PM +0000, Teh, Kenneth M. wrote:
>
>> One thing that annoys me is the hot top left corner but I have that disabled.
>
> That is nice to know, I'll find out how.  I presume Mate and
> Gnome3 can coexist on the same machine, perhaps with different
> logins to access them, so I can make the transition as Gnome3
> is adapted to my needs.
>

>> For a while I missed the icons on the desktop but I don't anymore.
>
> Is there a way around that with Gnome3, to keep user-generated
> icons on the desktop, and few or NO system-mandatory icons?

Yes, there is a "GNOME Tweaks" app (I believe it is installed by default)
where you can enabled desktop icons and choose whether you want to show
"Home", "Network Servers", "Wastebasket" and "Mounted Volumes".

So you can have your own icons on the desktop if you want to.

This Tweaks app is also where you turn on/off various extensions to GNOME
Shell, which extends the shell with more features of your liking.  I have
these extensions installed and activated:

 - Alternatetab
 - Applications menu
 - Launch new instance
 - No topleft hot corner
 - Recent items
 - Removable drive menu
 - Sound input & output device chooser
 - Suspend button
 - Topicons

I have also one more, Pixel saver, which I like but I'm not sure if it makes
GNOME Shell unstable, as when I have maximized windows it seems to crash from
time to time (2-4 times a month or so).

--
kind regards,

David Sommerseth