SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
"Teh, Kenneth M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Teh, Kenneth M.
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2019 19:44:23 +0000
Re: desktop icons. App icons are in the dock so having a shortcut link on the

desktop to an app is not really needed. Hit the Super (the Windows) key and type

the name of the app you want to launch. Much faster. If the current focus is the

Gnome Terminal, Ctrl-Shift-N opens a new Gnome Terminal window which is what I

use mostly.

The desktop icons I would have liked to have are files/documents one is

currently working with. I haven't figured out how. Putting stuff in the Desktop

folder has no effect. So, eventually, I just ended up using the file manager

app. The only drawback is scrolling down to find for the file.  The Downloads

window in the file manager has a 'ls -t' ordering so I imagine it is possible to

configure the other folders to have the same ordering instead of the alphabetic

or folder-then-files ordering.  This way your current document is always at the top.

The CLI for Gnome is gsettings but there is a gnome tweaks tool that is a GUI to

gsettings. I used it for instance to add a compose key so I can type simple

letters with diacriticals. It's worth installing.

Here's a section of my own notes on gnome with link to some useful (maybe

outdated) info.

> Settings list

> =============

> A useful on-line resource for gsettings, their keys and values, is

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__people.gnome.org_-7Epmkovar_system-2Dadmin-2Dguide_index.html&d=DwIGaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=5GbBSPtAOuCA234pG8d5JY2ITZevk4w-pHdsVe8Kyns&s=gYM3IXWpZTse-8sAIYNQfcFL3NFlH9f0HRcuF8jkgho&e=

> No particular order:

> * Disable automaximize when dragging a window to the top ::

>     gsettings set org.gnome.mutter auto-maximize false

>   Hmm...didn't seem to work.  Reboot?  Or edge-tiling false?

> * Turning caps lock into a compose key:

>   | tweak-tool -> typing -> position-of-compose-key

> * Show date in the top panel ::

>     $ gsettings set org.gnome.shell.clock show-date true

> * Dual monitor workspace. To make it span both monitors, say::

>     $ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter workspaces-only-on-primary false

Hope this helps.