SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

October 2019

From:
Keith Lofstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2019 12:15:23 -0700
On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 12:10:50PM +0000, Teh, Kenneth M. wrote:

> One thing that annoys me is the hot top left corner but I have that disabled.

That is nice to know, I'll find out how.  I presume Mate and
Gnome3 can coexist on the same machine, perhaps with different
logins to access them, so I can make the transition as Gnome3
is adapted to my needs.

> For a while I missed the icons on the desktop but I don't anymore.

Is there a way around that with Gnome3, to keep user-generated
icons on the desktop, and few or NO system-mandatory icons?

I keep about two dozen icons and folders on my desktop,
changing them frequently with my workflow, different patterns
for differently tasked machines.

Sadly, it is true that some people let icons accumulate and
make a mess (resembling their physical desktops), and that
slows down the machine.  I once helped a colleague move 800
overlapped icons on her desktop to folders, and mostly to
the trash.

For me, visual organization of my work using my own icons
and classifications is vital, and saves mental effort for
more important needs.  Also important is to avoid externally
imposed change for change's sake; I'm quite capable of
introducting more changes in my own life than I can manage.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          [log in to unmask]