SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2019

From:
Larry Linder <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2019 10:44:44 -0400
We have some systems still running SL 5.11 and they work fine. No
support but they continue to do their job so why update.
When they are no longer functional then it time to change.

Most systems we have have are on 6.9 and some new on 7.6.
The only improvement would be to unravel the security stuff that we have
turned off.  The networking of all the boxes is not easy because of
different SMB's

We simply have a script in cron that suts off network after 5:20 PM and
turns it back on at 7 AM.  Prevents the chineese from the endless
pinging of our network.

Our archaic systems are on run under VMware 14 and they all run as
intended.  We just need to support some devices from the early 90.

We will miss SL as we migrate to Centos.  So far in 9 mo we have seen
little progress in this development.  RHEL 8 promises according to
release notes a new and better networking scheme.
It is interesting that there is a new "yum" as an RPM but do you need to
install it to install the rest of the .rpm packages on the RHEL 8. RPM
pile.
This looks like the chicken / egg problem or can you install the RHEL
rpms with the old yum?

I have to admit that I did not read the fine print.

And how about a empty new system?

We are going to build a new box to try it soon but are dragging our feet
waiting for CentOS 8.

Larry Linder