SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

September 2019

From:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nico Kadel-Garcia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Sep 2019 00:11:48 -0400
On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 2:58 PM David Sommerseth
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 06/09/2019 05:02, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

> >> It's a newer package manager called dnf, not a new packaging format. dnf was introduced in Fedora 18 in 2013, so over six years. It was made the full replacement in Fedora 22. You can still call the yum command, it's just a symlink to dnf. No worries.
> >>
> >> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fedoraproject.org_wiki_DNF-3Frd-3DDnf&d=DwIBaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=A5w_4HZYVV8wdM-CIyuTqojig2pf2OQLcPYEBVhfh-0&s=o0mKeNq2vLkettxtsh9-B5Q5OnQWA8YExrDIMTSvbW4&e=
> >>
> >> On a RHEL 8 VM:
> >> $ which yum
> >> /usr/bin/yum
> >> $ ls -l /usr/bin/yum
> >> lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Oct 15  2018 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3
> >
> > dns if not my friend. It includes "Suggests" and "Recommends" for
> > other packages, which I personally think is really destabilizing and
> > not backwards compatible. Fedora 32, way upstream, uses a distinct
> > "zstd" compression format which is not backwards compatible, so taking
> > apart the SRPM packages for backports  is going to require chicanery.
> > even on CentOS 8.
>
> I remember similar complaints back in the days when Fedora moved away from MD5
> to SHA256, which broke RPMs which was built on RHEL-6 or newer Fedoras and was
> attempted installed on RHEL-5.  It didn't take too long before rpmbuild-md5
> was discovered which resolved this issue.
>
> Don't you think a similar utility will appear, or a RPM macro can be defined
> to use the older compression?  I don't know about anything right now, but this
> cross building will be crucial for quite some users so I kinda expect this to
> be a known issue.

It's been mentioned on the fedora-devel mailing list (by me, for one).
My concern is that it's going to take time, it's not going to brought
back into the core RPM toolkit for some time, especially since the
"rpm" tools themselves are migrating with RHEL 8 into a stabilized
channel called "baseos". We;ll have to see how this gets handled.