SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

August 2019

From:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jose Marques <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2019 08:19:03 +0000
> On 15 Aug 2019, at 00:24, Orion Poplawski <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> It sounds like you are not even at the point of running a "kickstart"
> configuration, but rather still at the PXE boot step.

We use syslinux. I have experimented with EFI kickstarts.

Our dhcp config has:

next-server <address>;
option arch code 93 = unsigned integer 16;
if option arch = 00:07 {
  filename "efi64/syslinux.efi";
} else {
  filename "pxelinux.0";
}

I obtained the syslinux.efi from Fedora. I installed the package syslinux-efi64 and copied over the necessary c32 and efi files to /var/lib/tftpboot/efi64. On legacy machines we use PXE for both kickstart installs and to provide a boot menu. IIRC the same syslinux config worked for both, we sym-linked pxelinux.cfg to the one we use for legacy boot. One issue we've found syslinux EFI is that it can't re-boot the system from disk (e.g. to implement a boot menu for dual boot systems). We need that so we didn't investigate further.

For the kickstart files themselves we just needed to add:

part /boot/efi --fstype vfat --ondisk=... --size=500

to the disk setup. We use EFI kickstart installs with HyperV and it seems to work fine.

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland, No. SC013532.