SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

May 2019

Date:
Fri, 3 May 2019 19:42:57 +0200
On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 5:59 PM Mark Rousell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On 03/05/2019 08:19, Tom H wrote:
>>
>> Red hat can limit access to its source RPMs to its paying customers
>> and prevent free rebuilds
>
> Although Red Hat have an extensive end user licence agreement, it is
> generally accepted that no terms in such an EULA can extinguish the
> software licence terms under which copyright holders have chosen to
> distribute heir software. In this case that is the GPL and both Red
> Hat and myself are bound by it.

If you violate the RH EULA, it can and will prevent you from accessing
RPMs and SRPMs to upgrade your installation.

But, as i said earlier, I doubt that RH'll go down that route because
it gains from having a free version.

I suspect that it's more likely that IBM decides that it's wasteful to
have a team re-brand RHEL and rebuild it, and chooses to follow the
Ubuntu model whereby RHEL would be free, with support licenses
available.