SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
MAH Maccallum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MAH Maccallum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jan 2019 12:16:35 +0000
This certainly an interesting issue, but I have

been less pleased with SL than Keith is. The main

problems have come with software that is not in

SL's standard set, generally because SL does not

have the needed libraries or supporting packages.

For example I cannot currently use Dropbox under SL

although I have manually re-partitioned and re-formatted

to use ext4 rather than xfs, since Dropbox insists on ext4.

The error message tells me I do not have glibc 2.19, and

advises I should update to Ubuntu 14.04+ or Fedora 21+

Often there's a workaround using other repos' contents

to get necessary libraries etc., but when I look for info

on the net the available advice is, like that above, most

often for Ubuntu and secondly a recent Fedora.

An example of software I would like to use is an up-to-date

gramps, while examples of things I do use but which are not

in the standard SL distribution are Texlive 2018

(SL's distributed texlive seems quite old) and MATE (from

epel, which works but with some flaky bits, notably the

power-manager and the keyboard configuration)

Malcolm