SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Stodola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jan 2019 08:08:27 -0600
On 01/04/2019 03:27 AM, Winnie Lacesso wrote:

> Happy New Year!

> Back in ?Oct?Nov?Dec? was mention of SL7 clients not updating, running

> into ???libgtop (or was it something else) dependency fails. If I could

> find SLU archives, who said what when could be quoted, but ATM attempt

> to access SLU archives cycles a long time then ends up at blank page

> http://listserv.fnal.gov/archives/scientific-linux-users.html

> Can someone admin@SLU check the archives are available, link is ok (or

> not?) (It's what's on the SL "Community" page for "List Archives")

I'm not an admin, but can confirm it does not load from here either...

> The tail end of that thread was "enable the epel-testing repo = your SL7

> client update will succeed" to which someone responded (paraphrased),

> "This works, but ... we are uneasy that for production SL7 systems,

> something from epel-testing is a dependency." (Implication with which we

> agree: nothing from epel-testing should be required on production system.)

> IIRC someone else replied something like "You could complain to epel about

> it...."

This was on November 26th, since I have a bad habit of not deleting

emails.  I can forward them to you off-list if you would like copies

before the list archive is repaired.

> It's now much later & *STILL* this is not resolved. We don't want to

> install anything from epel-testing on our production system(s) but in the

> meantime updates are balking.

> We really like SL & want to rely on it for stable reliable production

> servers. Can anyone take action to resolve this issue?

This is technically a problem with the EPEL people and should be handled

through their channels.  It does not appear to be an issue with any of

the core SL packages.  You can try their IRC channel, emailing lists, or

RedHat's bugzilla "Fedora EPEL" designation.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__fedoraproject.org_wiki_EPEL-23Communicating-5Fwith-5Fthe-5FEPEL-5FSIG&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=SNMKuRMPfmtX7rMdiTai-NKnQzmU0HExVmiMISQg1lg&s=tu2PjNKsk0IyPgvQdyaGecz-g6MRDG7NC0T6IhmBq4w&e=

I believe there is at least 1 EPEL contributor who also subscribes to

the SL lists who may see this as well.