SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
Gilles Detillieux <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gilles Detillieux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2019 17:21:31 -0600
Hi, Stefano.

Don't pay too much attention to the SL version number in the grub2 boot

menu. These labels are set when the kernel is installed or updated, and

don't necessarily reflect the SL version you're currently running. If

you updated the kernel to the latest version (3.10.0-957.1.3.el7) before

upgrading from 7.5 to 7.6, there would not have been any further kernel

upgrade during the 7.6 upgrade, so no update to the grub2 menu. All

you're choosing from the boot menu is a particular version of the

kernel, and kernel versions are more or less independent of the SL

release number (or at least the minor version number). Any "3.10.*.el7"

kernel version should work with any SL 7.* release.

The more important indicator is the value in the file

/etc/yum/vars/slreleasever. If it's 7.6 or 7x, then yum will grab the

latest SL 7.6 updates and you should be fine. If it's gone back to 7.5

for any reason, then you may have a problem requiring another attempt at

upgrading to 7.6. But even so, it's highly unlikely that all the RPM

package that got installed during the 7.6 upgrade got downgraded to the

7.5 versions, as yum doesn't usually downgrade unless explicitly told to.

Gilles

--

Gilles R. Detillieux              E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>

Spinal Cord Research Centre       WWW:    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scrc.umanitoba.ca_&d=DwICaQ&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=VQLV05LiafOuJFbkavFFar-ev4hCGSmK2JuAGht7gyM&s=xnraw06faga3ULLTUCWOeKtz6fxNZ9P1q4oOyLeskg8&e=

Dept. of Physiology and Pathophysiology, Faculty of Health Sciences,

Univ. of Manitoba  Winnipeg, MB  R3E 0J9  (Canada)