SCIENTIFIC-LINUX-USERS Archives

January 2019

From:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew C Aitchison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2019 15:43:36 +0000
On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, S. Vergani wrote:

> Dear Andrew,

> uname -r reports "3.10.0-957.1.3.el7.x86_64".

Hmm. https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__access.redhat.com_articles_3078&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=AbMRfZpAeBgc2mCkl-KKhLfPwq-pKDQ3Kmztw69QJQ8&s=6Y0htdEMZXgU1hX9ivQzJnOY_WZIHsSGYEjzWJaki4s&e= suggests that

that is an SL7.6 kernel.

I am not so sure that my guess was right after all.

> What should I search/do in /boot/grub2?

I'm not really sure.

> Many thanks,

> Stefano

> On 2019-01-29 11:42, Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

>> On Mon, 28 Jan 2019, S. Vergani wrote:

>>> I am running scientific linux on a ThinkPad t440p. During the past 1.5

>>> years, I have been experiencing the same apparently unsolvable problem

>>> with SL 7.5. Every time I closed the pc without locking it or I tried to

>>> restart it, the pc froze and the only thing to do was to force shut down.

>>> I have been using GNOME classic but with any other desktop as well (I

>>> tried them all) the problem persisted.

>>> I upgraded yesterday to SL 7.6 and finally the issue disappeared. This

>>> morning I started again the session and SL was back to 7.5. When I start

>>> the session (I have windows 7 dual-boot) I can choose only between some

>>> versions of SL 7.5 and windows. The aesthetics is then exactly as it was

>>> with SL 7.5, but when I check which version I am running it shows SL 7.6.

>>> The old issue came back and again it freezes every time.

>>> Could someone help me with the matter? To summarize, the selections during

>>> boot phase, the aesthetics, and the old issues of SL 7.5 are back, but I

>>> upgraded to SL 7.6 and when I ask for the OS the output is

>>> NAME="Scientific Linux"

>>> VERSION="7.6 (Nitrogen)"

>>> ID="scientific"

>>> ID_LIKE="rhel centos fedora"

>>> VERSION_ID="7.6"

>>> PRETTY_NAME="Scientific Linux 7.6 (Nitrogen)"

>>> ANSI_COLOR="0;31"

>>> CPE_NAME="cpe:/o:scientificlinux:scientificlinux:7.6:GA"

>>> HOME_URL="  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scientificlinux.org__&d=DwIBAg&c=gRgGjJ3BkIsb5y6s49QqsA&r=gd8BzeSQcySVxr0gDWSEbN-P-pgDXkdyCtaMqdCgPPdW1cyL5RIpaIYrCn8C5x2A&m=AbMRfZpAeBgc2mCkl-KKhLfPwq-pKDQ3Kmztw69QJQ8&s=0p_l2ngWO-ICHkUpt4ussePioIS6DmwtZA0jZK0Hi4k&e=

> BUG_REPORT_URL="mailto:[log in to unmask]">>

>>> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux 7"

>>> REDHAT_BUGZILLA_PRODUCT_VERSION=7.6

>>> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT="Scientific Linux"

>>> REDHAT_SUPPORT_PRODUCT_VERSION="7.6"